Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Post Surgery 2

Apparently I was tipped up on my feet the whole 8 hours of surgery. Dead weight on my poor little footies was not good. They hurt worse than my stomach. Jeff said when I was coherent, I was saying how much my feet hurt. The outside is still sore and numb. The pinkie toe and the one next to it are still partially paralyzed. Crazy. I had no idea I'd be operated on that way. I thought I had all of the info on this surgery. Guess not! :) Now you know I suppose.

They took my catheter out too soon which sucked. Getting up on my feet was excruciating and with the aid of a walker, I'd shuffle over to the bathroom and try to pee. The worst part was having this annoying NA coming in every few minutes threatening me with a new catheter if I didn't pee. I told her to stop telling me that, but she wouldn't listen. Finally my night nurse Abdul came in to see how I was doing. I told Abdul to keep that woman away from me and she needs to shut the hell up about catheters. Abdul is the man, so he made it happen. She didn't talk to me for the rest of the night unless absolutely necessary. I did have to have a catheter put back in. Uhhg.

The day after surgery I was trying out drinking with my new stomach and my favorite beverages were water and mint tea. Oooo and beef broth, it just hit the spot. Anything sugary was just not good. I don't think I started getting enough fluids in until maybe day 3 or 4 after surgery. I was getting about 70 oz. Jeff is the hero of that story. He'd pour them, set the timer, and wake me up to drink it. I was doing 1 oz every 5 minutes. Jeff was really amazing. It was like taking care of a newborn. I'm a lucky, lucky girl.

Lindsay joined us on the second day of the hospital and that was the same day that I was released. I only stayed one night and it really was enough. For me anyway, I felt it was fine. I was on oral pain med, I peed on my own, and there was nothing that Jeff couldn't do for me.

We checked into a hotel about 10 min away from the hospital and were there for two nights. I slept in a roll away bed with tons of pillows to prop me up. Lindsay was happy as a clam getting to be with Mama and seeing that she was alive and alright. She handled everything so well. She needed to come and that was the right decision. I also talked to my therapist about it and she agrees.

Those days at the hospital were spent sleeping, sipping, walking the halls, trying to remember how to pee, and having colon dropping out of your butt diarrhea. Blasting gas and liquid. I was not prepared. Jeff tried not to laugh. I don't blame him. What guy doesn't find humor in vicious fart sounds? Well, my guy does for sure. I laughed too. It was EPIC.

So that was the second section of my post surgery. I'll compose more later. Tonight we head back to Seattle for a 2 week follow up appointment. I'll also be stopping by Vitalady's store. Kinda excited for that. I'm sure she won't be there, but you never know.


CraftyHobbit said...

The poop is truly unbelievable! Did you get the neon orange oil slick yet? I think that freaked me out the most (even though I knew it was coming). My husband thought the fart sounds were funny until he ventured into the bathroom. He turned green and ran away, LOL. So yeah, even 2 months out I can still clear a room (but it's much easier to hold in my gas now).

And good for you for getting so much water in. I have a hard time getting in over 50oz, even 2 months post op.

Glad to hear you're doing so well! Looking forward to some pics.

Heidi said...

All of my poop has been a neon color of some sort. Mostly yellow. When I had some half n half in my coffee and I did see the slick. I was like, it's working! I was happy to see it.

I'm having a hard time with protein. So, I'm just focusing on the liquids. I've also got to get more vitamins in.

I should totally take some pictures. I don't think I look that different, but I'm down over 50 lbs since I started so there should be some.

Thanks for the comment and I'm looking forward to a new blog post from you. :)

Melanee said...

How did your check up go? I have been watching and reading, but not really responding. You make me tempted to do the surgery, well, up until the last post. I don't think I would do well with that. There is actually a program in my area that I qualify for, that wouldn't cost me much (if anything) to do the surgery. My doctor is looking into it, and I am a little freaked out about it. I guess I am just way to nervous about surgeries in general. I am exploring right now. I will keep you updated about it. I have started college and classes are killer (finals are next week) And I start new classes the week after. I will be watching. And I can't wait to see some pictures too. Sending some happy thoughts!