Saturday, October 1, 2011

Post Surgery

Sorry that it has taken me a while to get on here and post. Only for the last few days I've felt up to going online, talking on the phone, or even being able to watch a TV show without losing interest. Funny how narcotics and surgery do that.

Surgery was difficult. Instead of the projected 5 hours it took 8. Dr. S had back up plans that included going open, doing just a sleeve, and doing a pouch instead of a sleeve. The only reason he would have to do that is if he started cutting and a problem with one of my stomach parts arose. I let him know that I would rather have my old stomach than a pouch, he listened and assured me that it would ONLY be done if it were the ONLY alternative to no stomach at all. The assisting nurse afterward came over to me and said, "I've been operating with him for 6 years and he has always given the patient their chosen surgery. It's just a contingency plan, you'll be OK." I felt better. And really, I'm glad that he had plans in place in case the proverbial shit hit the fan.

One of the complications he encountered was that my duodenum didn't want to separate from my pancreas. He spent a lot of time working on that and had it not come away he may have had to revert to another type of surgery. I'm so very glad that he didn't give up on it. You can see how another surgery type may have been needed.

Another, was that my fat body was very misleading on how my innards would play out during surgery. Normally someone of my weight would have a stretched out abdominal wall, thus providing a nice roomy workspace once I'm all filled with gas. Instead, he found a tight like a six pack little abdominal wall, thicker than normal. Also, I suppose I'm a very tiny person under all of this fat. My organs were all smaller than what most people have and very compact. Moving around proved very difficult. Instead of my originally planned 5 ports of entry he needed to make 10.

When Dr. S came to Jeff after surgery, he looked exhausted yet upbeat and positive. Poor Jeff was a nervous wreck to say the least. I won't go into too many details of his day, but he broke down a couple of times.

Bottom line, I'm on the dark side. I got the surgery I wanted and Dr. S fought for it. That man earned his money that day and probably should've gotten more. I understand program fees now and I believe they deserve them. I've been told that my weight loss up until now is mostly, if not all water. I've been losing about 2 lbs a day so yesterday I was down 17 lbs since my weigh in the morning of surgery.

I'll make further entries on this subject detailing out pain, experience, and poop. Stay tuned! :)

1 comment:

Melanee said...

I am glad to finally hear some news. I was worried about you. I am glad you had a doctor that listened to you and gave you what you wanted. I am sorry that there were so many complications.

I am still including you in my prayers and thinking about you.