Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Date

I'm getting switched on the 22nd of September. I check into the hospital at 5:30 AM....yes, AM. I don't even want to think about what time I'm going to need to be up to do that.

On Monday I'm going to start my clear liquids only diet for 10 days. I'm seriously having anxiety over this. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. I'll do it, I'll just struggle. So, it's all clear liquid, sugar free, but I can have protein powder. The doctor told me to mix my protein powder with water to make a pasty pudding, then eat it that way. BARF!!!

This is what I'm thinking. I'm going to make some yummy broths, eat a bunch of egg drop soup, and come up with interesting concoctions with my protein powder. Like, how about different flavors of Crystal Light and vanilla powder? Perhaps chilled coffee, chocolate powder, and sugar free chocolate syrup? Uuugh, still not sounding good. I should get some unflavored protein powder for my broths.

Also, I'm thinking I'm going to miss chewing. I wonder how concentrated I can make sugar free jello till it's nice and rubbery? My SIL said during her liquids she boiled some short ribs and chewed on them and just spit out the gristley meat. I may get to that point.

I'm trying not to go crazy with the food right now, but I just can't help myself. I feel like I'm on death food row. Nom Nom Nom.

1 comment:

CraftyHobbit said...

The pre-diet was SO HARD. My doc required 2 meals of liquids and then 1 meal of 4oz. lean meat + veggies. Even then it was hard, so I feel for you! I had to do 2 weeks of it. Also, unflavored protein powder + crystal light was NASTY for me. I couldn't choke it down. I did a lot of chocolate powder + decaf coffee.

My best advice is jello, jello, jello! And gum. Helps with the whole chewing thing. Broths with protein powder helped me. I found Nectar Medical blended the absolute best. I hated the Isopure Natural.

I'm so excited for you and I will be thinking about you on the 22nd. Be warned, the first week and half for me was "omg what did I do? Why did I do this?" but after that you get on purees and feel more human. The pain is pretty intense at first but it goes away too and then OMG you feel frickin' fantastic!

And I had to check into the hospital at 6am so I feel your pain there too. :)